lunes, 20 de julio de 2015

NATALIE SCENTERS-ZAPICO [16.599] Poeta de Estados Unidos


Natalie Scenters-Zapico 

Nació en El Paso, Texas, EE.UU. Su primer libro, The Verging Cities , del cual proviene esta selección, ha sido publicado por The Center For Literary Publishing, como parte del Mountain West Poetry Series. Sus poemas han aparecido en The Believer, Prairie Schooner, West Branch, Palabra, entre otros más. Ha sido profesora de literatura y escritura creativa en Inglés y Español en la Universidad de Texas en El Paso, la Universidad de Nuevo México y la Juan Diego Catholic High School.



Presentamos tres poemas de la joven poeta Natalie Scenters-Zapico. Su primer libro, The Verging Cities, del cual proviene esta selección, ha sido publicado por The Center For Literary Publishing, como parte del Mountain West Poetry Series. La traducción de los poemas son del escritor y traductor Bernardo Jáuregui
http://circulodepoesia.com/


Embozado en cachemira lee a Žižek  en vez de
extraer los septembrinos trozos de bistec dentro
de una bolsa de chícharos del congelador. En sus labios

cien pétalos azules, flores secas
del fondo del jarrón de un amante anterior.

Lame sus dedos, toca los vellos
de un tronco de árbol macerado en cada página.

Espero; un diluvio corre de mi boca completa
con un oxidado Honda Civic— las ventanas

todas estrelladas. Mis venas brotan a ligar mis sienes
a un enchufe. Pierdo el conocimiento y entonces

el resurgimiento más angelical de  la luz…
Él dice que me he convertido

en un ejemplo de Žižek — Lo irreal, estamos
fascinados con lo irreal. Alcanzo mi muela

posterior, la giro a la derecha y trenzo
mi cabello. Si soy irreal, susurro, tú debes
ser tan real como mi cabello, el cual cortaré
con estas tijeras. Tú dices: córtalo

corto. Siempre he querido saber si podía hacer el amor
con un niño que siempre he sabido era una mujer.


*

El sol que cuida los campos de grano quema
de café el matorral esta época del año. El esmog cuelga
sobre las ciudades hermanas como una horda de ángeles
tan espesa que abro mi boca y aparecen llagas
en la punta de mi lengua. Desde la carretera, veo
el cementerio donde algún día descansará mi cuerpo.
Cuando muera el tropel de coches será un mar
de olas espumosas. El estrato terrestre será el peso
del agua que no conocí. Su peso tirará
de mi útero, se sentará en la mandíbula cuadrada de mi cara.
Nunca probaré las piedras, las semillas, lo sucio
en este aire otra vez. Un pañuelo apretado detrás
de mi garganta, me sofocaré si despierto agitada alguna vez.
El diablo arrancará mi lengua y la oprimirá entre
sus quijadas. Me dirá: tu cuerpo antes fue un océano
que el desierto, con su sed, una noche se tragó entero.


Mujer encontrada cerca a Sunland Park Mall

El Paso, Texas

Cuando él encuentra a la mujer que los clientes de Target
han reportado, la boca de ella se abre
y murmura, agua. Él piensa qué obvio
encontrar una mujer que cruzó el desierto
sin agua suficiente. Se acerca a su cara; su cuerpo
la ha traicionado. El agua es más pesada entre más seco
es el paisaje. Él coloca su bota en el cuello de ella
y mira cual lento el rostro enrojece de sangre.
Cuando el otro agente fronterizo pregunta en qué estado encontró
a esa mujer, él tiene una historia que involucra al agua,
cómo algunos pueden comprarla en Target y cómo otros
no saben cómo llamarla por su nombre.


Hay un pájaro en mi boca

Lo encontré en tu vientre, y lo agarré
con dos dedos. Guardé el pájaro
en una pequeña percha tras la oreja.
Le arranqué las plumas, taponé  mis mandibulas
con ellas como si fueran tabaco de mascar,
y escupí los hilos negros
en un tazón de polyestereno. Una noche
el pájaro murió. El pico aplastado, los huesos
quebrantados. Sí, lo hicimos. Tu corazón
celoso, mi cuerpo asqueado
por el sabor de la semilla y el ladrido.
No queríamos el pájaro.
Lo hicimos durante la cena
has llegado a mi memoria
mediante la colocación de un dedo
en mi oreja. Puse una mano
en tu boca para agarrar el ave.

Y lo aplastamos
juntos. Es sencillo, lo hicimos
y lo hablamos con facilidad. A través de
la memoria, matamos al
pájaro que nunca fue nuestro.
Ahora nos hemos convertido en
asesinos de pájaros, dices
y arrojas el cuerpo flácido del ave
en la basura. Alcanzo a agarrar
tu cara, pero he perdido
ambas manos, cada dedo
desaparece en tus pupilas,
nuestros ínfimos momentos cruciales.

*Traducción de Ana Gorría.
http://traducciones.lagallaciencia.com/search?updated-max=2016-09-19T09:07:00%2B02:00&max-results=7



There Is a Bird in My Mouth

I found it on your belly, and caught it
with two fingers. I kept the bird
on a little perch behind my ear.

I plucked its feathers, stuffed them
against my jaw like chewing tobacco,
and spit the black threads

into a styrofoam cup. One night
the bird died. Crushed beak, split
bone—we did it. Your heart

jealous, my body disgusted
by the taste of seed and bark—
we didn’t want the bird.

We did it over dinner,
you reached into my memory
by placing a finger

in my ear. I placed a hand
in your mouth to catch the bird
and we smashed it

together. This is simple, we did it
and spoke of it with ease. Through
the memory, we killed

the bird that was never ours.
Now we’ve become
bird butchers, you say

and throw the bird’s limp body
in the trash. I reach to clasp
your face, but have lost

both my hands. Each finger
disappeared into your pupils,
our little black cruxes.


Escaping The Verging Cities 
  
And when I realize the woman in the film looks just like my sister and the film will end
as all snuff films end, I wonder if I should turn off my computer.

And the lens, too burnt to tell if the man that pulls her hair has a cigarette or a toothpick
in his mouth, only reveals I can’t stand to see her planked body.

And when I tell myself the knife at her throat will kill her, I can’t help but remember
when I jumped into myself through a mirror at a bar where I had too much cocaine.

And how a blue-faced man put his hand up my skirt, how he delicately arched his fingers
and made me cry until I thought: people find beauty in a field of weeds.

And the next day my mouth was an anthill and I cried in my closet thinking he’d be the
only myrmecologist to see the colonies inside me.

And later I drank insecticide, but the ants poured out of my every orifice. They
whispered: now we know your deepest tissue—it is rotting.

And I asked: have I been rotting since they deported me? And they said: no, we’ve been
boring holes in you much longer than that.

And the weeds in my closet prophesized, before they died, that I’d be snapped in half and
fed to monsters in an ocean I’ve never known.

And I know the weeds truly grow when I look closer at the screen and realize the girl in
the film couldn’t be my sister, but that braided hair could only belong to me.


The Archeologist Came To Hunt Trilobites  

hidden in the rocks. He looked
for the curve of their antennae. He hunted
trilobites and ferns caked in white.

He hunted trilobites and ferns until
he found a human skull. A woman,
her teeth blanched yellow, her cartilage

slooped over her face. The archeologist
left her severed body for the sun
to eat, but then it wouldn’t leave him.

He hunted trilobites and ferns, but after
that day, he left the desert and wrote:
The human skull was of a girl ages 16-19.

I’d never really seen violence
until that day. Her face was already
bone. Her body, scattered.

The archeologist learned how
to love a place quiet, pull it off you,
how to brush each bone and take

its print. The archeologist came
to hunt trilobites and ferns caked in white.
But she too, was always hunted.


The Corner Store Clerk Says Her Name Was Ofelia  

and it started, with a phone call. A man
asking for fifty thousand dollars. Ofelia
dressed her children in plain cotton, she picked
them up at the door of every house and store—
parking lots are how people go missing.
The tree in her front yard swollen with winged
ants, she couldn’t sleep. Fear: the tree was dying.
She forgot to paint its trunk white. She plugged
her ears, disconnected the phone and boarded
every window. She dreamt her body cut
in half—a perfect border. When Ofelia
found her son’s body, a display of limbs,
by the tree, she thought of the word: drown.
His blood was sap the tree could not stop oozing.


The Verging Cities Watch Me  

I walk home from a bar alone, stop
       on Rim Road to let the lights of El Paso
              and Juárez switch on

              and off, sew themselves over all the ugly
       of my body. I hold my breath, and hope
all that light will turn

into black beetles to swarm me quiet.
      But when I open my body I am alone,
             alone only the way these two cities can be

             alone, only the way I am alone with him.
       When we are naked, we are pale as flyers
for women gone missing. He whispers:

             you’ll never sleep at night if you don’t look
        at what I have hidden under my eye lids. 
I inch the skin up like a blind, reveal two

nails where his eyes should be. If only
        I had loved him sooner, how I’d have kissed
              each eye green.


The Poem Shows Up  

as a sixteen year old girl with long hair, glitter eye shadow,
in a One Direction t-shirt. It shows up and sits in a corner of your office

on an iPhone tweeting:  Zac Efron is my husband #celebrityhotties.
Ashamed, you wipe the poem’s makeup off, you outline its eyes

in brown and dress it in a designer discount  sweater. You tell it:
be a man, be serious, now say something profound. You tell it:

act a prayer, act a song, now act as a traditional father.
But the poem rolls its eyes and tells you: I think he thinks I’m cute

but not hot. I want to be hot. It’s so immature you send it to therapy
but the Lexapro makes it say: Wait, you want me to do what? Yeah, no.

You want to make it wiser. You want to find the place that’s making it
so childish. So you prop its body on a table, you create an impromptu

surgical theatre and invite a group of men to take notes on how you pin
flaps of its skin back, tack tubes and wires across its naked body.

You show them how to create a roadmap men can follow again and again
in case they get lost. And the poem bleeds, it bleeds and you

don’t understand where all this blood is coming from. You are the man
doing this to a sixteen year old girl, to show the theatre why the poem

hasn’t been fitting in this box, hasn’t been pushing to the next line,
hasn’t subverted, hasn’t contained, hasn’t acted a prayer, a song.

Why the poem isn’t a traditional father. There’s blood in your hairline
and the theatre takes notes until the girl dies. You cut her body in pieces

and tell yourself you can use this liver later, this heart might be wild
enough for someone else,  this kidney might save a life. When you can’t

recognize the poem from the girl any longer  you wash your hands
and tell yourself  you’ve done something your father would be proud of.





.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario