domingo, 27 de abril de 2014

LORNA DEE CERVANTES [11.585]


Lorna Dee Cervantes 

(Nació el 06 de agosto 1954, en San Francisco, California) es una poeta Chicana galardonada, feminista poeta, activista, quien es considerada una de las grandes poetas chicanas de los últimos 40 años.


US Latino Poets en español
Por Xánath Caraza


Copatrocinado por Letras Latinas, the literary program of the Institute for Latino Studies, Universidad de Notre Dame

Lorna Dee Cervantes es una de las mayores exponentes de la poesía chicana de los últimos cuarenta años en los Estados Unidos.  Sus poemarios, Emplumada (University of Pittsburgu Press, 1981), From the Cable of Genocide (Arte Púbico Press, 1991), Drive: The First Quartet (Wing Press, 2006), Ciento: 100 100-Word Love Poems (Wing Press, 2011) y Sueño (Wing Press, 2013) están considerados en alta estima y han sido nominados para varios premios literarios en numerosas ocasiones. En una entrevista conducida por Sonia V. González, Cervantes dice que a través de escribir y publicar “Estaba tratando de devolver el regalo que me había salvado cuando descubrí a las mujeres poetas afro-americanas. Tenía la visión de una niña chicana en San Antonio [Tejas] que iba buscando entre repisas de libros, como a mí me gustaba hacerlo, buscando nombres de mujeres o apellidos en español, con la esperanza de que ella los bajara y se relacionara con ellos. Que fuera una poesía intencionalmente accesible, que intentara crear un puente en el hueco literario”.  Cervantes estuvo activamente involucrada en la publicación de numerosos escritores/as chicanos/as de los 70’s cuando ella tenía su propia revista literaria, MANGO.  Hoy en día Cervantes regularmente da lecturas de poesía y talleres de poesía en los EE. UU.  En 2012 fue parte del movimiento Libro Traficante; la caravana de Libro Traficante llegó a Tucson, Arizona, y pasó de contrabando libros a la juventud chicana/latina en un intento de devolvérselos, después de que los libros fueron puestos en cajas y sacados de los salones de clase durante horas normales de clase para cumplir con la propuesta de ley de Arizona 2281.

Lorna Dee Cervantes es la activista cultural por antonomasia en los Estados Unidos para los poetas latinos/latinas/chicanos/chicanas.  No hay duda de su gran compromiso por difundir la poesía o de hacer la poesía accesible a todos.   Cervantes como mujer, como parte indígena, como una persona de ascendencia mexicana y culturalmente estadounidense ha buscado con su poesía explorar estos elementos.  Cuestiona las culturas a las que pertenece,  y crea una síntesis poética que refleja gran diversidad y, en ocasiones, dolor.  Cervantes escribe principalmente en inglés pero mezcla español en su poesía.  Ella creció durante una época en la que hablar español no era aceptado y era más bien penalizado, aún hoy en día existen sectores de la población que no se siente a gusto al escuchar otro idioma diferente al inglés.  Sin embargo, Cervantes pertenece a una generación que para sentirse parte de la comunidad estadounidense había que asimilarse lingüísticamente a ésta, es decir, asimilarse a la comunidad angloparlante, que aunque no hay un idioma oficial en los EE. UU. lo correcto, en la niñez de Cervantes, era eso, hablar inglés, y con eso probar que aunque moreno o de cabello negro se era lo suficientemente ‘americano/a’.  Mas Cervantes también se siente arrebatada de otra parte de su cultura, la mexicana, y no sólo eso, siente que tampoco es lo suficientemente mexicana, en su caso, y lo expresa en sus versos, como otros poetas de los EE. UU. lo han expresado también, dependiendo de su herencia cultural específica.

Hay una gran belleza en cada palabra que Cervantes selecciona en su poesía.  Palabras que muestran confusión en ocasiones, orfandad en otras.  Palabras que cuestionan el estar entre culturas, palabras que también celebran ese sentimiento, que Cervantes tan bien explora en dos de sus poemarios, el amor.  Para esta ocasión he seleccionado los poemas, El barco de refugiados del poemario Emplumada (University of Pittsburgu Press, 1981), Amor de mi carne, muerte viva del poemario From the Cable of Genocide (Arte Púbico Press, 1991) y Narcisos también del poemario From the Cable of Genocide (Arte Púbico Press, 1991).  A continuación mi traducción de estos poemas.




El barco de refugiados

Como la fécula de maíz, paso desapercibida
a los ojos de mi abuela.  La biblia
a su lado, se quita los lentes.
El pudín se espesa.

Mamá me educó sin idioma.
Soy huérfana de mi nombre en español.
Las palabras son extranjeras, tropezándose
en mi lengua.  Veo en el espejo
mi reflejo: piel de bronce, pelo negro.

Me siento cautiva
en un barco de refugiados.
El barco que nunca atraca.
El barco que nunca atraca.



Amor de mi carne, muerte viva

Para García Lorca


Una vez no siempre fui tanta llanura.
Era plumas esparcidas en una cruz
de dunas, una extensión del océano
a mis pies, guirnaldas de gaviotas.

Sirenas y gaviotas.  No te pudieron sosegar.
Sabes tan bien como ellas: ser
paloma es sujetar el halcón
en tu pecho, en tus noches, en tus mares.

Mi miedo es simple, enfrentada ante el corazón
arriba de destellos de grabados, un linaje
en letras, mi súbita profunda mirada.  Eres tú.

¡Eres tú! Cantó el corazón en la ménsula de la 
pelvis.  Rubor de mi aliento, trampa de 
mi vista—bello pájaro—Eres tú.




Narcisos

Para Jay

            Verde, que te quiero verde
            —Federico García Lorca


Es verdad—amo 
el narciso, su suculenta
radiación. Todas las cosas
amarillas son buenas, dice la gente de Pueblo.
Eres maíz azul, el color 
de la vena norte que atraviesa tu muslo.
Eres azul, el color de un nuevo amanecer
cuando el péndulo de la tierra desiste,
cuando tu amor se eleva de su cama de piedras,
y el deseo, deseo sonámbulo de la bestia.

Deseo—es verdad—un manojo
de trigo que crece en el aliento de tu tumba,
que cubre tus huesos, fino con las largas 
uñas que ciñen esta flor.  Verde, que te 
quiero verde y la magia de
los dedos abriéndose camino hacia la vida,
hojas que se tornan amarillas en el invierno del 
sauce.  Mis ramas son brazos que sostienen,
mis manos completan la labor del río.

Y es verdad, recojo amor
como otros recogen aliento para lágrimas
y yo amo la dorada luz que pesa
en los pétalos de los narcisos.  Amo 
tus cielos cobaltos, la ligereza del aire
que llevas en tus puños.  Sostienes la cabeza
como cuando un narciso deleita en el sol.  Déjame ser
verano para ti, más allá de la profusión de hierba 
que una vez fui cuando mi alma morena charlaba
en su sepultura de invierno de tierra aniñada.




"Love of My Flesh, Living Death"

after García Lorca

Once I wasn’t always so plain.
I was strewn feathers on a cross
of dune, an expanse of ocean
at my feet, garlands of gulls.

   Sirens and gulls. They couldn’t tame you.
You know as well as they: to be
a dove is to bear the falcon
at your breast, your nights, your seas.

   My fear is simple, heart-faced
above a flare of etchings, a lineage
in letters, my sudden stare. It’s you.

   It’s you! sang the heart upon its mantel
pelvis. Blush of my breath, catch
of my see—beautiful bird—It’s you.







A un Desconocido

I was looking for your hair,
black as old lava on an island   
of white coral. I dreamed it   
deserted you and came for me,   
wrapped me in its funeral ribbons   
and tied me a bow of salt.

Here’s where I put my demise:   
desiring fire in a web of tide,   
marrying the smell of wet ashes   
to the sweet desert of your slate.
My intelligent mammal, male
of my species, twin sun to a world   
not of my making, you reduce me   
to the syrup of the moon, you boil   
my bones in the absence of hands.

Where is your skin, parting me?
Where is the cowlick under your kiss   
teasing into purple valleys? Where   
are your wings, the imaginary tail
and its exercise? Where would I breed   
you? In the neck of my secret heart   
where you’ll go to the warmth of me   
biting into that bread where crumbs crack   
and scatter and feed us our souls;

if only you were a stone I could   
throw, if only I could have you.






Drawings: For John Who Said to Write about True Love

“The writer. It’s a cul-de-sac,” you wrote that
winter of our nation’s discontent. That first time
I found you, blue marble lying still in the trench, you, staked
in waiting for something, anything but the cell of your small
apartment with the fixtures never scrubbed, the seven great
named cats you gassed in the move. I couldn’t keep them.
You explained so I understood. And what cat never loved
your shell-like ways, the claw of your steady fingers, firme
from the rasping of banjos and steady as it goes
from the nose to the hair to the shaking tip. My favorite
tale was of the owl and the pussycat in love in a china cup
cast at sea, or in a flute more brittle, more lifelike
and riddled with flair, the exquisite polish of its gaudy
glaze now puzzled with heat cracks, now foamed
opalescent as the single espresso dish you bought from
Goodwill. What ever becomes of the heart our common
child fashioned, red silk and golden satin, the gay glitter
fallen from moves, our names with Love written in black
felt pen? Who gets what? Who knows what becomes of the
rose you carried home from Spanish Harlem that morning
I sat waiting for the surgeon’s suction. What ever becomes
of waiting and wanting, when the princess isn’t ready and
the queen has missed the boat, again? Do you still write
those old remarks etched on a page of Kandinsky’s ace
letting go? Like: Lorna meets Oliver North and she
kicks his butt. The dates are immaterial to me as
salvation or a freer light bending through stallions
in an air gone heavy with underground tunnels. Do you
read me? Is there some library where you’ll find me, smashed
on the page of some paper? Let it go is my morning mantra
gone blind with the saved backing of a clock, now dark
as an empty womb when I wake, now listening for your tick
or the sound of white walls on a sticky street. Engines out
the window remind me of breathing apparatus at the breaking
of new worlds, the crash and perpetual maligning of the sand
bar where sea lions sawed up logs for a winter cabin. I dream
wood smoke in the morning. I dream the rank and file of used
up chimneys, what that night must have smelled like, her mussed
and toweled positioning, my ambulance of heart through stopped
traffic where you picked the right corner to tell me: They think
someone murdered her. You were there, all right, you were
a statue carved from the stone of your birth. You were patient
as a sparrow under leaf and as calm as the bay those light
evenings when I envisioned you with the fishwife you loved.
And yes, I could have done it then, kissed it off, when the scalpel
of single star brightened and my world blazed, a dying bulb
for the finger of a socket, like our sunsets on the Cape, fallen
fish blood in snow, the hearts and diamonds we found and left
alone on a New England grave. Why was the summer so long
then? Even now a golden season stumps me and I stamp
ants on the brilliant iced drifts. I walk a steady mile
to that place where you left it, that solid gold band
thrown away to a riptide in a gesture the theatrical
love—so well. What was my role? Or did I leave it
undelivered when they handed me the gun of my triggered
smiles and taught me to cock it? Did I play it to the hilt
and bleeding, did I plunge in your lap and wake to find you
lonely in a ribbon of breathing tissue? Does this impudent
muscle die? Does love expire? Do eternal nestings mean much
more than a quill gone out or the spit? I spy the bank
of frothed fog fuming with airbrushed pussies on a pink
horizon. I scored my shoes with walking. My skill is losing.
It’s what we do best, us ducks, us lessons on what not
to do.
                     Thanks for the crack,
                                                               you wrote
in my O.E.D. that 30th renewal when the summer snapped
and hissed suddenly like a bullet of coal flung from a fire
place or a dumb swallow who dove into the pit for pay. Kiss
her, and it’s good luck. I palm this lucky trade but the soot
never sells and I never sailed away on a gulf stream that divides
continents from ourselves. But only half of me is cracked, the
other is launched on a wild bob, a buoy, steadfast in storm. I may
sail to Asia or I might waft aimlessly to Spain where my hemp
first dried from the rain. My messages wring from the line,
unanswered, pressed sheets from an old wash or the impression
of a holy thing. But don’t pull no science on this shroud, the
date will only lie. She’ll tell you it’s sacred, even sell you
a piece of the fray. She appears on the cracked ravines of this
country like a ghost on the windshield of an oncoming
train. She refuses to die, but just look at her nation
without a spare penny to change. My wear is a glass made
clean through misuse, the mishandling of my age as revealing
as my erased face, Indian head of my stick birth, my battle
buried under an island of snow I’ve yet to get to. What could I do
with this neighborhood of avenues scattered with empty shells
of mailboxes, their feet caked with cement like pulled up
pilings? Evidently, they haven’t a word
                                                       for regret
                                                                     full heart.
Someday, I said, I can write us both from this mess. But the key
stalls out from under me when I spell your name. I have to fake
the O or go over it again in the dark, a tracing of differences
spilled out on a sheet. If I could stick this back
together, would it stay? It’s no rope, I know, and no good
for holding clear liquid. I gather a froth on my gums, and grin
the way an old woman grimaces in a morning mirror. I was never
a clear thing, never felt the way a daughter feels, never lost
out like you, never drove. My moon waits at the edge
of an eagle’s aerie, almost extinct and the eggs are fragile
from poisoned ignitions. I’m never coming out from my cup
of tea, never working loose the grease in my hair, the monkey
grease from my dancing elbows that jab at your shoulder.
But I write, and wait for the book to sell, for I know
nothing comes of it but the past with its widening teeth,
with its meat breath baited at my neck, persistent as the smell
of a drunk. Don’t tell me. I already know. It’s just the rule of
the game for the jack of all hearts, and for the queen of baguettes;
it’s a cul-de-sac for a joker drawing hearts.








No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario